Hawaii Pacific University Area Coordinator in Honolulu, Hawaii
The Area Coordinator (AC) is a full-time, live-in, on-call professional that plays an integral role in the on-campus residential experience at Hawai`i Pacific University. Housing and Residence Life staff aims to enhance educational, social, and personal growth for residents. The AC helps to create conditions within the residential communities that allow a diverse student population to learn and live in a comfortable and safe environment. They must employ a student?centered approach, the ability to identify and address student needs, facilities operations knowledge, a desire to collaborate, strategic problem?solving ability, sound judgment, administrative management skills, and a timely response to problems that arise.
The AC is responsible for supporting residents, overseeing the residential community programs, supporting student staff, advising the Residents Activities Council (RAC) of their assigned community, coordinating various training sessions and programs, working with facilities staff and security guards, and collaborating with other departments to develop co-curricular and extra-curricular initiatives and activities. In addition, the AC assists with roommate conflicts, conducts Title IX intake reports, manages safety expectations in the units (e.g. fire drills, safety inspections), and responds to on-campus emergencies.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Two years of experience in higher education, preferably housing and residence life.
- One year of experience with coordinating and delivering co-curricular activities and programming.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, computer spreadsheet, word processing, and database (e.g. Word, Excel, Outlook, Access, PowerPoint, Publisher).
- A Master's degree from an accredited institution in college student personnel, student affairs/higher education, counseling or closely related field.
- Three or more years of experience in higher education, preferably housing and residence life.
- Two or more years of experience with coordinating and delivering co-curricular activities and programming.
- One or more years of Involvement in the development and training of student staff, and assistance with the creation and implementation of departmental programming models.
- This position is subject to the requirements set forth in the Area Coordinator housing agreement, specifically its language addressing consensual relationships with students.
- Report to work obligations to support the department and may require work during HPU's winter break, if necessary.
- Must meet training and background check qualifications and comply with the Protection of Minors policy.
- Able to work all shifts and extended hours.
- Upon hire, candidate must have reliable transportation to all HPU worksites and other locations as required by the position.
- Successful candidate will be able to work in an environment that utilize excellent time and stress management skills.
Key Responsibilities: 1.Oversee a diversity of co-curricular initiatives and programs within each residential community. (35%)
- Oversee, support, and evaluate RAs in planning and implementation of events and activities based on the departmental programming model.
- Maintain an awareness of events and activities taking place in the area of assignment as well as on campus, including attending events to support student staff and engage with the community.
- Develop and implement new ideas and concepts to improve the quality of life within the residential communities.
- Advise the Residents Activities Council which includes training officers, group development, goal setting, and active support for hall activities.
- Oversee a diversity of educational and prevention programs that impact the community.
- Collaborate with students, faculty, staff and community partners on co-curricular initiatives and programs.
- Assists in developing departmental vision, goals, objectives, strategic direction for creating effective student living and learning communities to support student success.
- Work closely with the Assistant Director of First Year and Residential Communities on co-curricular initiatives and programs within the residential communities.
2.Support residents and intervene when appropriate. (25%)
- Meet with students who have concerns and issues to provide them with support, resources and referrals to be successful at HPU.
- Refer residents to campus and community resources based on the presence of a need.
- Provide timely and accurate documentation and communication regarding incidents, hearings, outcomes, and referrals.
- Familiarize residential students with university, Code of Student Conduct, and Housing and Residence Life policies, procedures, and guidelines as written in the Student Handbook, and ensure appropriate enforcement thereof.
- Consult with supervisor and Dean of Students staff regularly regarding student conduct matters.
- Serve as a Campus Security Authority, as outlined by the Clery Act.
3.Administrative Duties, On-Call and Emergency Response. (25%)
- Assist with creating a RA duty schedule for daily supervision of the residential communities, including evenings, weekends, holidays, and breaks.
- Understand and disseminate emergency procedures and guidelines to RA staff, residents, and outside cooperating agencies.
- Serve as part of an on?call rotation to respond to and support RA staff members through emergencies, urgent matters, and policy violations on campus.
- Collaborate with HPU security, college and local authorities in responding to emergencies.
- Communicate to students/staff and maintain working office hours daily during normal business hours.
- The Area Coordinator position requires a non?traditional work schedule, by providing duty coverage for the assigned area, which does include weekends and holidays.
4.Support in the hiring, training and supervision of student staff. (5%)
- Assist the lead Area Coordinator on hiring, training, and evaluating the Resident Assistants.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings to disseminate information to RA staff, and aid in on-going staff training and development.
- Oversee RA educational events/programming efforts.
- Hire, supervise and train Federal Work Study student employees to work as either front desk, mail or student center staff.
5.Assist with facilities and operations. (5%)
- Coordinate opening and closing of the buildings/halls at the beginning and end of the academic year, and during periods of academic recess.
- Work cooperatively with Housing and Residence Life staff and other departments in matters related to hall maintenance, custodial, room assignments, verification of occupancy and hall/room damage issues, mailroom, laundry machines, vending machines, etc.
- Work with the Assistant Director regarding approved room changes within assigned area, participate in department-wide room change time periods, and maintain awareness of roster changes.
- Follow up on reports of damages, needed repairs, and items of a similar nature, and follow?up regarding completion of repairs.
- Monitor and inventory storage areas, lounge and public areas in area of assignment.
- Liaison with HPU Facilities and Security to create safe community and well-maintained facilities.
- Support summer conference coordination and requirements as necessary.
6.Performs other related duties as assigned (5%)
- Works closely with the Assistant Director of First Year Experience on the first year experience.
- Serve on committees as directed, assigned, or voluntarily as a department representative.
- Actively participates as an effective member of team by completing assigned duties, accepting additional assignments or reassignments.
- Assists with seasonal peaks.
This description is not designed to list all activities, duties or responsibilities which may be required for this job. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned at any time.
Hawai'i Pacific University is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering a diverse, equitable environment in which faculty and staff can excel irrespective of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or any other protected class covered by state and federal law. Hawai'i Pacific University encourages applications from veterans and individuals with disabilities. A pre-employment background investigation is performed on candidates selected for employment.
Job Title: Area Coordinator
Closing Date/Time: Sat. 05/12/18 11:59 PM Hawaii Time
Job Type: Staff - Regular Full Time Exempt
Location: Hawaii Loa Campus, Hawaii