Hawaii Pacific University Assistant Professor - Communication/Design in Honolulu, Hawaii
The Assistant Professor of Communication/Design will teach multimedia classes such as foundational software tools and writing systems used in modern multimedia platforms. He or she will also supervise semester activities that meet course objectives, maintain records on and evaluate student performance, assign grades. Assistant professors have responsibilities for advising, assessment and service to the department, college and university and must pursue a research agenda leading to peer-reviewed scholarship and dissemination.
- Doctorate in Communication or Multimedia or closely related area or other terminal degree (MFA, MPS, etc.) from an accredited university. ABD candidates will be considered, but must have Ph.D. conferred degree prior to the beginning of the Fall 2018 Semester.
- At least one year experience in relevant multimedia communication and design, web design, graphic design, motion graphics and compositing, and animation or game design.
- One year professional experience in the field
Experience teaching university students Desired Qualifications:
Significant experience in relevant multimedia platforms Other Qualifications:
Report to work obligations in support of department, including HPU winter break, if necessary.
- Must meet training and background check qualifications and comply with the Protection of Minors policy.
- Upon hire, candidate must have reliable personal transportation to facilitate travel between to all HPU worksites and other locations as required by the position.
- Able to teach classes scheduled during days, evenings, and weekends.
- Able to teach classes at multiple locations on Oahu.
- Successful candidate will be able to work in an environment that utilize excellent time and stress management skills. Key Responsibilities/Essential Job Functions:
- Teaching (45%)
- Develop a syllabus of course activities that meet the requirements of the course description or program chair, establishes appropriate student learning outcomes, and provides for appropriate class activities throughout the semester.
- Plan and deliver individual classes that conform to the syllabus and other requirements of the University.
- Demonstrate a command of the discipline and skill in presenting it effectively in the context of an integrated education.
- Maintain accurate and complete records on student participation and performance, use appropriate measures and evaluate student performance on the basis of established student learning outcomes, provide timely feedback to students and assign grades that are an accurate and fair evaluation of student work.
- Submit grades and any other required documentation in a timely manner.
- Post and maintain regular office hours at times reasonably convenient to students. Serve as an advisor to students and provide informed advice.
- Meet deadlines and follow directions of the program/department chair, associate dean or dean of the college.
- Evaluate the teaching of colleagues through the process of peer review.
- Scholarship and Professional Development (25%)
- Produce a scholarly/creative stream of work.
- Advise and mentor undergraduate and graduate researchers.
- Apply for and obtain, internal and external research funding.
- Disseminate work through publication, juried exhibits etc.
- Keep abreast of developments in the field.
- University Service (25%)
- Attend orientation programs and Faculty Assembly meetings and participate in academic duties.
- Participate in committees; course, program and curriculum area coordination; curricular development and textbook selection; instructional workshops and activities within own curricular areas, policy and program review; or other learning assessments.
- Serve as representatives on departmental, college level and university level committees, as well as on other task forces and committees in the formation of academic policies and related matters.
- Assist with co-curricular activities to include organization of, participation in, or presentation of faculty forums or workshops; advising and sponsorship of clubs and societies; participation in, organization of, providing guidance and assistance to extra-curricular or co-curricular departmental events.
- Participate in recruiting and retention activities
- Meet department and college specific expectations for university service.
- Performs other related duties as assigned (5%)
- Actively participate as an effective member of team by completing assigned duties, accepting additional assignments or reassignments.
This description is not designed to list all activities, duties or responsibilities which may be required for this job.
Hawai'i Pacific University is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering a diverse, equitable environment in which faculty and staff can excel irrespective of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, geneticinformation, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or any other protected class covered by state and federal law. Hawai'i Pacific University encourages applications from veterans and individuals with disabilities. A pre-employment background investigation is performed on candidates selected for employment.
Job Title: Assistant Professor - Communication/Design
Closing Date/Time: Sat. 04/28/18 11:59 PM Hawaii Time
Job Type: Faculty - Regular Full Time
Location: HPU Downtown Campus; Honolulu, Hawaii